Shell MRPL Aviation follows best in class operating standards of HSSE across its value chain. Some of the practices which ensures safe transportation of Jet fuel are:
- Safety audit of transporters carried out as per Shell international standards – 4 pillar audits where Driver management, vehicle management, Journey management and HSSE management audits are carried out for ensuring safety during fuel transportation.
- Transportation is monitored and controlled by state of art GPS system, where any safety violations (Speed, Journey management, harsh braking, driver fatigue control are monitored on line)
- Night driving is not permitted and drivers mandatorily takes rest after 4 hrs of continuous driving. These are also monitored by GPS system.
- Regular safety meeting carried out involving all stakeholders i.e. SMA staff, contractors, drivers etc. to incorporate, improve and inculcate safety behaviours
- Regular emergency response drills carried out to ensure timely and correct action in case of emergency
- Emergency Response Plan is revised in line with PNGRB guidelines and submitted to statutes after approval of SMA board
- Regular trainings, Tool box meeting, safety briefings, LFI (learning from incidents) are carried out to maintain and enhance safety / quality performance
- Near miss and Potential Incident reporting are encouraged for process improvements.